2/24/09

Andre Smith: To Draft First or not to Draft First?




Many of you might already know about Andre Smith leaving his Combine workout this past weekend. What caused the first rounder to leave? He was not prepared to workout. He showed up out of shape at the combine and decided to leave. In the draft alone, Smith was considered to be the best tackle in the entire draft board. With his actions, this hurts him a lot. This will hit him in his wallet (costing him around $23 million dollars). Now GM’s are looking at other potential left tackles to be taken before Smith. Tackles such as Eugene Monroe (Virginia), Jason Smith (Baylor) and Michael Oher (Mississippi) are all first-round left tackles who can be taken as the first tackles in the draft before Smith. Last season, Smith was the All-American for 2008 and won the Outland Trophy playing for Alabama under Nick Saban.

The guy was a guaranteed first rounder to be drafted within the first five draft picks. With his recent actions of not working out at the combine, hurts him a lot. Even his interviews were very iffy. Andre Smith was unprepared for the biggest job interview of his entire life. His life depended on his combine day, and he didn’t show the scouts and GM’s anything. Would a guy applying for a job at Microsoft, right out of college not be prepared for his interview? The guy would practice at home in front of a mirror and work at it with family or friends. That guy would also wear a tie and shirt too. You’re not gonna get that job wearing a regular polo shirt and blue jeans, my friend. To get a job at Microsoft, you’re going need a collar shirt with a tie and nice slacks. No one is going to hire a guy who doesn’t show how much he cares about working for a future employer. Smith pretty much went into the combine unprepared and then left without showing his employers anything. This was his biggest job interview and he dropped the ball big time. Smith even knew he messed up big time, “If I had the chance to do it all over, I wouldn't have handled it the way I did. I should have told my group leader that I was leaving, and I didn't. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers or step on any toes. I didn't mean to grandstand anyone at the combine. That was not my intention at all, and I apologize for my mistake.”

Can Smith redeem himself? Yes he can, by working his tail off to be back in shape in time for Alabama’s Pro Day (March 11) and perform well for the scouts. Even if he does well at the Pro Day, he still is a liability. Scouts, GM’s, and Owners won’t be sure of his trust and loyalty to his future team and employer. What if the guy quits on the team next season? I’m just saying it could happen, but I don’t think it will. The guy lasted through seasons of losing games at Alabama before last season where Alabama got a Sugar Bowl Bid, which he didn’t even play in. I’m sure that people will take a second look before drafting Smith in April.

0 comments:


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Sports Car Pictures. Powered by Blogger