2/11/09

Favreless NFL




Today we have learned that Brett Favre has retired from the NFL. This time it wasn’t a tearful commotion like last year around March. Favre told his agent that he wanted to retire and walk away from the game he’s been playing for the past 18 seasons. "There are several things that went into decision but most importantly, the most important thing, was that physically, you know with my shoulder the last half of the year it hampered the way I played," Favre said. "I'm 39, I had several options [to have surgery] and to let it heal. How that would affect me in terms of playing I had no idea and it wasn't something I was going to risk."

Over the last month for Favre, playing for the Jets, we could see that he wasn’t himself. Favre wasn’t playing too well near the end part of the season. We’ve seen Favre play poorly before in Green Bay any times before, but this time it was different. It was as if the age factor kind of settled in. Remember, Favre played some tough games last season against the Pats, Titans, and the Dolphins. These teams and other as well sacked Favre and made him move in the pocket. It had to be sooner or later when the hard hits would take a toll on his body. I believe in the last part of the season, that is what we saw. We saw a drained out Favre who couldn’t make the great plays when he needed to, or the forced plays that the old Favre could in Green Bay. Even in Green Bay in the 2007 season, he looked uneven at times playing. In Green Bay, he had an ok running game and very good starting receivers and back up receivers (R. Martin) who could get open to stretch out a play for Favre. When it comes done to it, Favre retired because he couldn’t play anymore. This happens with age, you don’t play like you use to five years ago or ten years ago. Something you did five years ago can’t be done now. Favre realized that and retired. I still think Favre is a very good QB when he doesn’t make his mistakes over and over again.

Do I really think he is retired? I don’t know. As a Packers fan and Favre fan, I think he could come back next season. There is always that possibility with him. Favre is unsure of finality. The guy doesn’t want it to end because he loves what he does. Maybe in the off-season around May and June, Favre might get the itch again to play. Many times the temptation to come back could force him to the NFL. I’m saying he might come back. Or maybe in the season around week 4, 6, or 8 a veteran QB on a team could get hurt. Favre could see this as another opportunity to come back and put the helmet back on again. That could be another way for him to come back. Even at his press conference, he sounded very unsure of his decision about retiring. I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes back. Also, he will NOT come back to play for the Vikings. The Packers put in a suicidal clause in his contract that the team who trades Favre away to the Vikes will have to give 3 first round picks (to the Packers). You really never know what Favre could do. To me he’s 50/50.

I will miss Favre from a fan’s POV. It will be different not hearing about Favre’s name in the NFL or ESPN anymore during the football season. Since I’ve started watching football and cheering on the Packers, I heard the name Brett Favre in every NFL season. It will be different, but I knew the day would come one day when he would have to walk away from the game. I guess the next time we can expect to see Favre again will be in Canton, Ohio.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Didn't know all this history about Farve's. I like the concise version!
Seems to be me just like you said, there's a 50/50 chance he might come back.

WSUS said...

AZ... even though farve was not in tears.... were you????

Anonymous said...

No I was not in tears this time...lol. I was ready to accept the fact that he needed to walk away.


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Sports Car Pictures. Powered by Blogger